In 1875, Tokyo Women's Normal School, Japan's first institute of higher education for women and the predecessor of Ochanomizu University, was founded. The school was reorganized with two divisions, Division of Liberal Arts and Division of Science in 1897, and it changed the name to Tokyo Women's Higher Normal School in 1908.
On reform of the educational system after World War II, the school was reestablished as Ochanomizu University with two faculties, Facaulty of Letters and Faculty of Science and Home Economics in 1949. In the following year, the university divided the Faculty of Science and Home Economics into Faculty of Science and Faculty of Home Economics (current Faculty of Human Life and Environmental Sciences), and extends up to the present.
The Faculty of Science has started with four departments, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. It opened Department of Information Sciences in 1990, and consists of five departments at present.
In order to support further research and development, the university also established the Graduate School of Humanities and Science (master's program and doctral program) for interdisciplinary research covering from liberal arts to science.
|1875||Tokyo Women's Normal School opens.|
|1897||Division of Science is established.|
|1908||School is renamed Tokyo Women's Higher Normal School.|
|1949||Ochanomizu University (Faculty of Letters and Faculty of Science and Home Economics) is established.|
|1950||Faculties are reorganized to Faculty of Letters and Education, Faculty of Science and Faculty of Home Economics.|
Faculty of Science starts with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
|1964||Master's research course in science is established (master's program).|
|1967||Science Building 1 is completed.|
Computer Center (current Information, Media and Education Square) is established.
|1970||Marine Laboratory (current Marine and Costal Research Center) and Radioisotope Laboratory (current Radioisotope Research Center) are established.|
|1972||Low Temperature Laboratory is established.|
|1976||Graduate School of Humanities and Science (doctoral program) is established.|
|1977||Science Building 2 is completed.|
|1990||Department of Information Sciences is established.|
|1994||Science Building 3 is completed.|
|1997||Master's research courses in humanities, science, and home economics are reorganized into the Graduate School of Humanities and Science (master's program with 6 divisions).|
|2003||Glycoscience Institute, Life-World Watch Center and Center for Soft Matter Physics are established.|
|2005||Science & Education Center is established.|
|2008||Center for Informational Biology is established.|
|2009||Institute of Experimental Animal is established.|
|2011||Center for Simulation Sciences is established.|